My Photo
Name:
Location: Peoria, IL, United States

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hangover Remedy

Ok guys, seriously, ya'll should take away the computer when I'm drinking. Sorry about that. But hey, I got a post up!

This morning, yeah, not feeling so great, as expected. Luckily, I don't have a headache but my stomach is pretty queasy. I always find I need some protein the day after a bender, I don't know the science but it seems to quiet my nausea.

Lately I've been craving eggs like nothing else, which is really odd because I've never been much of an egg person. It's a texture thing. I love the runny yolk but the whites freak me out. My animal friends LOVE it when I make eggs because they usually get the left over whites. I always feel so wasteful when I do that though.

So this morning, I tried something new and oh my goodness, you need to make this now. It took a little bit longer than your normal eggs over easy, but the result just melted in my mouth. The recipe takes your standard breakfast ingredients and fancies them up a little bit. You can easily serve this for a wedding shower brunch, just make them in muffin tins instead of ramekins. I didn't do it this morning, but you could saute some veggies--mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus --in butter and garlic and put them in the bottom, under the egg. It's a recipe you can play around with quite a bit.

Baked Eggs in Ham Cups
Adapted from YumSugar!

2 slices shaved ham (see note at bottom)
Asiago cheese, grated
1 Egg
Splash of milk (or cream if you have it)

Preheat oven to 375.
Grease a ramekin (or muffin tin). Line the cup with ham. Sprinkle cheese in bottom. Crack egg into cup. Pour just a touch of milk/cream on top of egg, this will keep egg from setting too hard.
Bake for 20 minutes, no more, or the yolk will not be runny.

Note: You need to use shaved ham for this, not the really thick sliced ham. However, you need shaved ham with a little bit of body to it. If you can see through the ham, it will work for eating, but won't be pretty if you're serving for a party. I used prepacked "deli-style" shaved ham, and because it's done by a machine, the ham comes out of the package torn. My recommendation is to go to your store's deli and have them shave it for you. You might tell them what you're using it for and see if they can adjust the settings on their machine so it is a little thicker. See the two pictures below and you'll see what I'm talking about.


Photo by me: See how my ham didn't really hold up? You can't see the sides, but the egg white soaked through the torn holes in the ham. It was yummy, but not pretty enough to serve at a party.



Photo by Yumsugar: Done by a Food Photographer of course, but, gorgeous nonetheless. You see the difference? If you're going to serve this for a party, use a higher quality ham, something that has some thickness to it so it holds the egg in.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home