My Photo
Name:
Location: Peoria, IL, United States

Sunday, November 1, 2009

That chicken is SO dead!

Probably one of the most elemental dishes for a true cook is roast chicken. It takes awhile to cook, and it can be challenging to learn the techniques, but a perfect roast chicken is the most tender, juicy bird you will ever taste! It can be a simple, comforting family meal, or a fancy, impressive gourmet dish.

I have been wanting to try my hand at this for awhile, but I've been too chicken! *slaps knee* That, and it seemed like too much food for just the two of us. But JC was coming to dinner, so it seemed like a good time to try it out!

The chicken itself was not terribly difficult. I used a digital thermometer to make sure the bird was 180 degrees before I removed it from the oven, let it rest for 15 minutes before attempting to carve it (note: the word attempt), even covered it with foil while resting.

Then came time to carve the beast. I had gone online and read a few articles and looked at pictures of how to carve it. The breast was not really a problem. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get those pretty, crispy drumsticks. The sucker's legs did NOT want to break. I mutilated that poor bird. It wasn't pretty.

Somehow the dark meat was still undercooked a bit. I'm not sure why. The breast was perfectly cooked. Could not have been more juicy and white and delicious. Man it was good. But the dark meat was that texture of chicken that is JUST not done yet. It was weird. Anybody have any ideas? I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Caribbean Spice Roast chicken
From A Recipe a Day (Since it was my first time out, I did not change this recipe, except to double the spice mix. I ran out when coating the bird.)

1 1/2 Lime Juice
2 oz rum
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground giner
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 (3 lb) whole chicken
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat oven 325 degrees.

In small bowl, combine the lime juice, rum, and brown sugar, set aside.

Mix together the spices.

Brush the chicken with oil, then coat with the spice mixture. Place in a roasting pan, and bake about 90 minutes, until juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees.

Baste the chicken with the sauce every 20 minutes while it's cooking.

Allow chicken to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.

Tip: Save the carcass for stock! Put in an airtight bag and freeze until ready to use. I'll post about my stock recipe soon, I promise.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home