My Photo
Name:
Location: Peoria, IL, United States

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Trying New Things

I've been looking forward to making this recipe since I found it. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I found this French-seeming recipe when I was reading "My Life in Paris." Maybe it's because I've never cooked with leeks before. What ever the reason, I knew I had to try it.

It wasn't difficult to make, though be very careful when prepping the leeks. It's hard to julienne those suckers! Also, they are very sandy, so be sure to rinse them in a big bowl of cold water before you cook with them.

Surprisingly, J. really liked this. I wasn't sure if he would, it's a little out of his comfort zone. We both felt that the angel hair was a little too delicate and mushy. Is there such a thing as al dente with such a teeny pasta? Next time I try this I will go with something sturdier, like vermicelli or even fettuccine.

Drunken Angel Hair with Leeks and Cream
From Serious Eats

3 leeks, whites and light greens sliced into julienne
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup water
1 bottle of white wine, 3/4 cup reserved (I used Oliver Gewurztraminer)
1 pound angel hair pasta
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp chervil, chopped (I used parsley, my store didn't have chervil)
Salt and fresh ground pepper

In a saute pan, melt the butter in 1/4 cup water on medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cover with a lid, turn heat down to low. Cook about 20 minutes, until soft. You might need to add more water if the pan gets dry.

Boil a large pot of water. Add a full bottle of wine, minus 3/4 cup, and a handful of salt. Add pasta to water and cook until al dente.

In pan with leaks, add 1/2 cup of wine, allow to reduce slightly. Add cream and heat through. Add the pasta and some pasta water, toss to combine. Add the final 1/4 cup of wine, chervil and Parmesan. Grind lots of black pepper on the top.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home